Bengaluru: Two-year-old swallows balloon, dies

BENGALURU: A two-year-old boy died after swallowing a balloon he was playing with near his home at Chikkakammanahalli, near Hulimavu, southeast Bengaluru on Monday. The child, Nawaz Siddiq, was the fourth child of Abubakar Siddiq, a tinkering and painting labourer, and Reshma.
Police said Nawaz has stepped out of the house at around 7.30am to play with other children in the area. He returned at 9.30am and Reshma noticed he had problems breathing. She immediately took the child to a nearby hospital and the doctor there suggested she take him to a child specialist. Eventually she went to on about 5km away, but the child was pronounced dead at 11.40am, 45 minutes after she reached the hospital.

When ed, doctors at Apollo hospital said Reshma had taken her child to two other doctors before she arrived at Apollo. There, they performed a laryngoscopy to take a closer look at the larynx and throat. Using forceps, a piece of the balloon removed from the airway.

“When we asked the family, we were told that the boy was munching nippattu (rice crackers),” doctors said. “But the boy’s condition suggested otherwise. His face, hands, tongue and fingers had turned blue, suggestive of a foreign body obstruction. We conducted an X-ray and ECG. There were clots in the heart, the airway was blocked and a piece of the balloon had entered his lungs.”

The hospital claimed the family had only later told them the boy was gifted a balloon and it burst while he was playing with it.

Speaking to TOI, Dr A N Ventakesh, head of emergency medicine, Apollo hospitals, said “If older children ingest something like a balloon, it enters the stomach and passes out through the motion. In small children, the airway is narrower and it gets stuck causing a life-threatening condition. He suffered from hypoxia (oxygen deficiency). It is a very rare case. He may have survived had he been treated immediately.”

Get latest news & live updates on the go on your pc with . Download The for your device. in English and other languages.