Chowgule asks 500 mining employees to not report for work

PANAJI: The mining division of the has asked around 500 of its workers not to report for work pursuant to the Supreme Court order mandating the stoppage of mining operations in Goa.
Union leader and Goa Rajya Kamgar Mahasang president on Monday told TOI that the workers have been asked to ‘stop card-punching’ from Monday. He said that there are around 500 workers at the company’s Sirgao, Pale, and Costi mines. Gaonkar said that if workers are offered voluntary retirement options, there are a few workers who’ve only completed two or three years, and they won’t be able to get anything. “We want job security for workers,” he said.

The company’s decision is the latest in a string of setbacks in the mining sector. Just last week, the Fomento group asked around 800 of its management staff to resign in view of the uncertainty in the state’s mining sector. However, the group didn’t touch the workers. Before that, Sesa Mining Corporation Ltd, a Vedanta company, asked all its employees not to report to work with immediate effect. The company transferred some of its management staff to other units outside Goa.

Withdraw termination policy:

In a communique issued to its employees, Sesa Mining Corporation Limited had said that it was beyond the control of the company to continue mining operations considering the Supreme Court judgment and instructions from the state government.

“Hence, all employees have been advised not to report for duty at mines with immediate effect until further notice,” the company said.

Meanwhile, leader of the opposition and Congress neta said that mining companies should withdraw their policy of terminating the employment of workers till the mining issue in the state is settled.

Get latest news & live updates on the go on your pc with . Download The for your device. in English and other languages.